Author Topic: New Flare3D 2.7 is out!  (Read 16899 times)

Johannes   «   Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 05:09:34 AM »
Hi Ariel, thanks for the new version. It fixed most of the problems that appeared in our project with Flare3D v2.7, however there are some things left that are slightly "off" when using starling integration. These things are a bit more subtle though, and hard to explain.

Can I send you a sample project which reproduces the problem? You will see different behaviour there if you switch the Flare3D libraries between v2.5, v2.7 and v2.7.1 (or disable the starling rendering), which might help you figure out what other things Starling is doing to the context when it renders.

Also, an idea for the Flare3D IDE: When saving and overwriting a file, maybe delay deleting the target file until the ZF3D bytes are ready to be written to disk? I always worry about something crashing while saving, as the file disappears from disk instantly, and is only recreated when saving is complete :P

Also also, why can't I set the Camera Near setting to 0 in the IDE? I can set it to 0 in code, and it works fine. It can only be set to 0.1 as the lowest setting in the IDE.

@Mal: We don't really have something to show now, as we are just starting out with Flare3D. Sorry! Some of our earlier work with Starling is publicly available though: "Rolls-Royce Marine Products" (on Android and iOS). We are basically planning to make something like this, but with realtime 3D models in Flare3D (instead of prerendered images).

Mal   «   Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 06:29:02 AM »
Hi Johannes,

The app with the pre-rendered 3D is very cool, can't wait to see your combined real-time 3D work!

Did you look into Feathers for handling UI?

> Also also, why can't I set the Camera Near setting to 0 in the IDE? I can set it
> to 0 in code, and it works fine. It can only be set to 0.1 as the lowest setting > in the IDE.

If you check camera.near after setting it to 0 in code, the value gets set to 0.1 rather than 0.

Johannes   «   Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 01:41:11 AM »
We haven't looked at Feathers yet, though it does seem interesting. I haven't tried reading back the camera.near value like you have, but i know for sure that setting it to 0 has an effect. Makes a world of difference on our scene, which has very low scales for some reason :P

Ariel Nehmad   «   Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »
I haven't tried reading back the camera.near value like you have, but i know for sure that setting it to 0 has an effect. Makes a world of difference on our scene, which has very low scales for some reason :P

As Mal mentioned , near is clamped to 0.1 right now, we can lower this value to something smaller like 0.001, but it can not be just 0 ;)

Tom Goethals   «   Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 09:13:21 AM »
+1 for a lower IDE value. (0.001)
if you think in units as meters (as i like to do to) 10 centimeters is a lot.
millimeter precision would be (in some cases) needed.

Brings me to the question.
Being a developer and not having spent a lot of time in 3D modelling software, what do you think would be a good scale for a unit in flare? does it make a difference in performance in any way?

Thx,
T
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:24:38 AM by Ariel Nehmad »

Ariel Nehmad   «   Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »
We did the change ;)

Scale units doesn't really affect performance, but if values are too small you'll loose precision due to the floating point math, if too large is not too good either but don't think there is a real issue unless they are really huge numbers :P
Use what is comfortable for you ;)
One thing that's is important is depending on the scale you are using, adjust the near and far camera planes as much as possible, this will improve depth buffer precision, which is very important.

Johannes   «   Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 05:24:22 AM »
Umm, i was wrong it seems. Setting Camera.near to 0 makes no difference from 0.1 :P

Mal   «   Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 06:22:35 AM »
Johannes, if you re-download the latest 7.1, it now can be set to lower than 0.1.

I had to use a value less than 0.1 on a project today believe it or not, great timing! :)

Suvrat Kotia   «   Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »
When you guys are releasing HTML5 plugins? In some cases client doesn't want to run program on any players....so it's good to get player independent Flare3d program, such as HTML5...on which you people were working. When can we expect HTML5 Flare3d?

nero king   «   Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 02:39:35 AM »
Whether you will always support flash platform ?

Landon Liang   «   Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 08:44:57 PM »
When will you guys release new version? It's really a long time from last release.
I'm thirsty for new features to improve loading speed and performance on mobile.
Is there a developing pre-release version?

Ariel Nehmad   «   Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 07:36:40 AM »
We have all the features are already in place, we're just connecting the dots, but it is taking a bit more time than expected...but we're getting there!

We can't wait to release it!, it's a very exciting one ;)

mrpinc   «   Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »
Any update on the next release or some of the features to expect?  I work for a very large company that is currently evaluating engines for our next generation of 3D Applications and Flare3D is under consideration, especially with the proposed HTML5 features that were announced 2 years ago (eek!)

Jose Luis   «   Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 03:10:01 PM »
Hi mrpinc! You must have patience, the next release is more closely than you think ;-)
If you are anxious and you want to get a sneak peak of the next version you can download examples and the latest Dev Build from Flare3D labs (https://github.com/Flare3D/labs)
About HTML5 I can tell you that this technology don't reached the expected levels of interest that we had waited. So, we decided suspend our HTML5 version and see what is happening in the future.
Can you tell me what kind of application do you want to develop? If you want, you can contact us at info@flare3d.com. We can guide you and evaluate together different alternatives to cover your needs and achieve your wants.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:23:40 AM by Jose Luis »

Tags: